Taking two 18 month old babies out to a restaurant? No problem. We eat out all of the time. They are pros. I mean real professionals...can even stop by someone else's table to ask for food. But tonight...I went at it alone. Yes, I am no fool...we were meeting a friend for support with her two kids and it was the school fundraiser night at Jason's Deli. Thank you Wendy for coming in, seeing this mess, and still agreeing to sit with me. What never occurred to me before we left? Stranger Danger....and a self service restaurant. Now, you think about it. When eating out...they bring you the menu, they bring you the food, they bring you a drink....
However...at the lovely Jason's Deli...you are on your own. We pull up and I can literally see it in Virginia's eyes. She is having a conversation with me like this.
Virginia: Mommy. You better not even think of putting me down. At all.
Mommy: Come on Virginia....yummy food!
Virginia: It ain't happening....
Thankfully....the Sindelar family pulled up the same time we did. I felt confident that John would go with those lovely girls...but no way. He was instantly attached to my leg. Virginia just started wailing. I knew once I offered food we would be in the clear. So we get in and see a lot of people we know. First, Cheryl and Jen tried to take John. Nope. There were families circling...trying to help. They were getting seats, arranging tables, taking of coats. But neither baby would let go. For Virginia, it was like I asked her to sit at the table with Santa. I tried to get one of my students to hold Virginia and it was if that student transformed into Santa before her eyes and he was touching her.
Now, I remembered I needed to actually order dinner as the line was forever growing. I tried to leave John and he was convinced shortly when the Guarnieri family offered him chips from the side. But I ended up ordering with both kids in my arms. Ridiculous. Not to mention trying to use a coupon and actually paying. And bonus, the man at the register had to remind me to pay. Thanks Brooke for finding my credit card on the floor later. And who earns Mother of the Year....the one that ordered the salad bar. Really? Dummy. Luckily, parents took my drink back and held my tray. Shame, shame, SHAME.
Things did not settle until I found the glorious deliciousness in the tiny shape of a muffin. We were in business. Here's to you Jason's Deli for making those muffins today! Then all kids ate....even the baby doll Virginia adamantly had with her the whole time. It is in the wash now. Gross.
Needless to say, we skipped a bath tonight. On a night after both kids were on the floor in a restaurant. Again, kuddos to me!
To all of the families helping....you are great. And I know you love these kids since you hear about them all of the time. For the strangers there tonight....sorry. Give Jason's Deli one more try. Not on a school fundraiser night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!!
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Jason's Deli....but I totally got a visual of what your evening was like!
Definitely made me laugh and will be a night you will giggle over for quite some time! :)
Hugs!
Dana
What...no pictures?!?! You juggled all that and didn't snap a single shot? Shame! Hey -- I've got a blog now too...you've inspired me, but mine will never been as cute & entertaining ;-). Karen Haywood
ReplyDeleteOMG, I can just see it! So funny! (Is it actually funny to you yet?)
ReplyDelete