Thursday, July 28, 2011

Number 17.........

Ok.....to start this post, I must remember that marriage is about communication. And this is one time we realized we had a "failure to communicate"....according to a recent movie I watched with my family. We both knew John needed a haircut. I mean bad. So today in the car, we were discussing what to do with his hair. I, of course, stated that he needed a big trim off the back and sides....I made it clear. And furthered my point.....

Allison: I want to make sure he keeps a good amount in the front. He needs at least an inch or two down from his forehead. No more than a half an inch up from his eyebrows.
Joe: I agree. But are you sure he does not need a buzz cut for summer? It is so hot out here.
Allison: Maybe later. He is too young and it could look nerdy. He has a big forehead.
Joe: Ok....I will do a short side and do the longest clippers in front.

Just take a moment to remember this mane.......................

So Joe gets the clippers. It is going ok. I am good with the back and sides. Mind you, we have bribed John with marshmallows, m&ms, and Barney. I like the back and sides, I really do. We get the top. He starts to cut the top with scissors. I fuss that he is doing it haphazardly. So in turn, he breaks out the clippers again. (Side note....Joe has ALWAYS wanted to give John a buzz cut but I refuse.) My friend Megan shows up at this point. Joe continues with the clippers and all of a sudden.....we are here.....the reverse mohawk is in effect.....

I scream!!!!!! Joe yells that he can't go back now. Megan is trying to tell me it will be fine. It will grow out. It is not that bad. Joe admits that it was not quite the "one inch" he was looking for. Uh. Really. I am tearing up. My face is covered by my hands but I am shouting at Barney so he will be distracted. John is crying because he has hair all over him. Virginia is completely unaware of anything happening because she has Barney and a snack. And Joe keeps going. At one point, we contemplated a true mohawk. But we all knew in our heart of hearts that it was even too late for that.

The back looks great! Minus the teen wolf on his shirt.

What two year old on his 17th haircut has this much hair?

In the heat of it all......still able to shove in snacks.

Daddy proud! Mommy devastated.


Yes. That is hair all over his face.

Post-haircut. If you click on the picture, you can see his tears over the mourning of his long lost hair.

He is a different kid now. But we still love him. And chalk another haircut down and a survival of marriage. Barely.

5 comments:

  1. Picture on the couch holding the green glass - pure Joe Koontz. John and Virginia are the official twins but Joe and John are the true twins in your family I'm afraid.

    Carole P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I think it's cute :) He'll feel better in the heat at least. We buzz Matthew's every 4 weeks or so. Hope you're having a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKS GREAT.........HOKIE & REDSKIN in the making..........back to long hair in 4 days..........NO WORRIES!

    PAPS

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, thank you for FINALLY posting some updates...I was going through some serious withdrawals. Second, I really truly love the 'do! He looks cooler temperature-wise and style-wise. He carries it well...I'm serious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank everyone....I am just looking out for John in this August heat. He is an active young boy and he needed a cooler cut! Love you Allison!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete