Friday, February 12, 2010

The Nebulizer....

Maybe I should start this one as....it was 6:00 a.m. Joe says to me....

Joe: We should get the doctor to check out John's cough today when we are at the doctor's office.
Allison: Really? He has had this cough since November. And 4 doctors have seen him about it. I think he is fine.
Joe: Well, I am just saying.
Allison: Fine. You pay the $20 for him to be checked in to see the doctor. I am sure he is ok.

Forward to 3:30 p.m. There we were....at the doctors office for our monthly RSV shots. I get John checked in per Joe's request. We are getting the babies weighed as Joe reminds me we should get them to look into Virginia's ears. Just to be sure. The doctor comes in to see them. She listens to John and asks several questions. All of a sudden, we are having him tested again for RSV. And then strep. And then an ear infection. Crap. Joe was right. I was wrong. I hate it when that happens. She moves on to Virginia. She asks several questions. All of a sudden, she is getting tested for RSV. And then strep. And then an ear infection. Crap again.

A nebulizer was brought in. I was thinking to myself...wait....what is a nebulizer? Then poor John got hooked up and was on it. Turns out they both tested negative for RSV and strep...but poor little John has an upper respiratory infection and Virginia has a double ear infection. We had no idea. Well, I guess Joe had an idea. I realized right at that moment that something happened that I never thought would...I am a laid back mother.

I guess I still did not even realize what was happening when I asked her how we would return this nebulizer to the office. She said politely..."Sweetie...you will be keeping it..." which she followed up with..."I sure am glad that I don't have twins...."

So we are on the nebulizer every four hours until he is better. We are home bound for the weekend and have high hopes it will get resolved. Sorry Grandma and Granddaddy that you now have to make the trip to us this weekend!

P.S. John weighed in at 19 lbs. 3 oz. and Virginia weighed in at 17 lbs. 1 oz. Healthy kids.

Poor Joe....on John duty....lost the coat. And then the tie. What a mess!

Daddy saved the day!

This was Joe's look once he realized that I actually had the camera out.

He hates it. But we are pushing on!

Virginia was watching John cry and thinking how happy she was to not be getting the nebulizer treatment.

4 comments:

  1. we have been there with the nebulizer...didn't even know it! sing songs worked with ours..

    we actually have snow down here in GA! Syd keeps saying " I can't believe we have snow in cordele, GA!" so funny bc I never thought it would happen.

    hope you all are doing well. miss yall
    Beth Young

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry both kids are sick AND that you had to give Joe the tally mark on this one...but that's why there are two parents and twins...two heads are always better than one! Take care of those babies. This winter, if snow doesn't keep you home, the kids will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison,

    You really do need to be writing a book! I will totally read it from cover to cover! :O) You can take anything that is within the realm of "normal" and make it an interesting story! :O) I'm always grinning when I read these posts! :O)

    Now, on to the important stuff....
    I am so sorry to hear that the babies were not well at their last visit....but am so glad they will be getting the medicine and treatments they need to be on the mend soon! :O)

    And....after having had two children of my own....it never occurred to me to take a camera into the doctor's office! You truly do amaze me!

    And....KUDOS to John...when Taylor had to use the nebulizer when she was much younger....she didn't handle it nearly as well as sweet little John appears to have done. You should be proud! :O) The nebulizer in our house always made both of my children cry because Taylor was scared of the treatment and Tate would cry because he thought we were hurting Taylor. :o( (At least he was a protective brother....right?)

    And....in all the pictures that you post....I can't help but be amazed by Joe and how naturally "hands on" he appears to be with these babies! My Joe has always been good at helping too....but...from the pictures....your Joe looks to be an amazing Dad. :O) John and Virginia are so blessed to have the two of you as parents! :O)

    Take care,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad to hear they're both sick. I was hoping to be able to see them this weekend at the River House. We are praying for their speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete