Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fingers Crossed

So I have nervous tummy today. In all honesty, it feels like the day before I went to college. I knew that the next morning, my life would be totally different. I knew that the next time I went to bed...my life would be changed forever. I have that feeling tonight. I am excited, nervous, anxious, but not scared. I thought I would be scared but we feel so ready to have them home. We feel that our babies were not born early...we are the lucky few that got 10 extra weeks with their babies. What a blessing.

If all goes well tonight, we will return home tomorrow with two children. It is almost surreal. Between my bed rest and the babies hospital stay, tomorrow is our 99th day at Henrico Doctors. I think our cars deserve a break.

With all this said, we know that so many of you want to visit and meet these two miracle babies. We want you to meet them. BUT we have to set some guidelines...as my mother would say..."They are not even supposed to be here yet!" The doctors suggest that all people call first so we can limit the amount of our visitors at a time and per day! We will ask you to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer. The most important one is this...please do not come to visit if you have a cold or have been exposed to a cold (especially your own child). A cold is the most dangerous thing for any premature baby. We appreciate your help in keeping them safe and healthy...it took two years (and a lot of bed rest) for them to get here and we want to make sure they have the best chance to stay healthy!

On the eve of one of the greatest days of our life (we hope!), we say thank you for all of your love and support. It has been overwhelming to see and hear the responses to our family. We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends...old and new.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! We wish you the best of luck tomorrow. Very excited for you. Don't feel guilty about setting rules! Amy & John & Owen & James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even their mom and I feel nervous! You and Joe are going to be amazing with Virginia and John. Tom and I will keep all of you in our prayers...God has truly blessed you. I'll be in touch early this week.
    April B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I feel like I just read the last chapter of an awesome book and I can't wait to get the sequel. What an exciting day! Best wishes and we all love you.
    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such excitement!! Enjoy every minute of this very special and long awaited homecoming :-) We're so happy for you!
    Lots of love and hugs --
    Chris, Geoff, and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck today, I'll be thinking about you guys. You'll do great and make all the rules you want, you're the mom and dad and you get to lay down the law!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the babies will love their new home and beautiful nursery! Congratulations AND Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!
    Dougie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo excited for you guys!! I hope today is a WONDERFUL day. Enjoy every second!
    Megan B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Koontz family -
    I am so so happy for you guys! Keeping you all in my thoughts today!
    Lauren P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you that I've got tears in my eyes. This is the most beautiful thing I've read to date: "We feel that our babies were not born early...we are the lucky few that got 10 extra weeks with their babies. What a blessing." What an awesome gift you've been given...times two! God bless. Relax and enjoy this time, and don't be afraid to say "no" to visitors, phone calls, updating blogs, etc. You're parents now...it's your job to take care of your entire family's physical and mental health...making everybody else happy is no longer priority. We'll love you no matter how long it takes to meet John & Virginia! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best news I've had all week. You know I want to come by, and other than a kitten who just hurled on the kitchen counter after going on a bender in the dried flowers in the night, I have not been around anyone sniffly in the least. Take a couple days to enjoy them in your gorgeous home all by yourself, and call me when you are ready for me to come on by :) Congratulations to all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just made me cry at work!!!

    This day has been a long time coming, Al. So glad it's finally here for you. I say you write a book about all of this (a la Jenny McCarthy), make millions, and retire on a mountain of money.

    And good for you for setting boundaries! What a good mom you are already!!

    Kisses to you, Joe, and the munchkins,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have been counting down the months/weeks and days with you for this day to arrive, but I can honestly say that John and Virginia already have two of the greatest parents out there. For all that you have done over the past few years and months, it is has been wonderful to see the two of you grow into such amazing parents. (Please do get this blog printed into a book so they can read it over and over to see how loved they have been along the way. I know I read it over and over again for laughs, cries and hope.)

    I am so proud of you both. We are thinking of you all so much today and everyday. And don't feel a damn bit guilty about setting boundaries, etc. You do what is best for you and the kids. Although we are all beaming with pride and love for your entire family, it is just that, your family and your time to bond under one roof! We love you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete