Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Survival

Well we made it! It was a fussy start but overall a successful night. It turns out you have to feed them every three hours. I mean we knew this but we did not really KNOW this. I will credit Joe for convincing me to use the last of our target gift cards for a mini fridge. The fridge in the nursery was a huge time saver. Luckily, we can both get back to sleep very quickly so we are both feeling good today. I guess we are not those people that stay up all night to make sure the baby is ok...

The babies seem a bit unsure about their new surroundings. I guess it would be different lights, smells, sounds, and well just everything.

Rest in peace yellow gowns...you served your purpose well and kept our babies germ free but we in no way miss you. Your heat, your scratchy texture, your heat, the way you can ruin a great picture...you will have a good home back there in the hospital but are not welcome in this house.

The couch and a baby...I never thought it could happen!



The 1st time in their new bed. We have two cribs but it was MUCH easier to put them in one. I guess I could put them closer together.

Maybe the swirls were getting to him...

9 comments:

  1. You are amazing...posting already. And your fan base thanks you for that! So glad to hear the first night went as smooth as possible. Enjoy these days snuggling on the couch with your babies!

    PS Joe & you know I'm not an Internet stalker, right? I own an internet-based business...it's my job to be online all the time and I just love looking for Koontz Kids updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for all four of you. I love the picture of Va. by herself. Such a sweet little face. I can't wait until my children are germ-free again so I can visit!

    Love Aunt Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like all is well. If you can make it through the first night threst is just one day & night at a time. Thank googness for the Koontz Kids Blog! What a wonderful way to keep everybody informed. It is so special to be able to click onto our grandchildern (and you guys)at work.

    Love,

    Granddad Koontz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to be able to visit the blog and see you all at home! I don't often get that chance! Thank you for the lovely note and the "going away" photo. It was wonderful getting to know you and your family. Come back to visit so we can see them growing and so you can be an inspiration for other families!
    Lisa Roday
    March of Dimes NICU Family Support Specialist

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just a little twin mom advice. We used boppies to feed the boys side-by-side when they "immobile". It worked well, but killed my back. For their birthday someone gave us kid sized bean bag chairs that would have worked so much better - put them at the perfect height. I will try to find a pic to post of FB so you can tell what I am rambling about.

    I am really enjoying your blog. It brings back so many memories to this time last year when we brought our boys home! Have fun and SLEEP when you can! Kelly A. Greenville, NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on making it through the first night *and* getting some sleep! are they noisy babies? i was up for every little grunt and groan for weeks! no one told me how noisy babies are in the night and that no, each noise does not mean that they need to eat! love their bedding, by the way. does it match their boppy covers? too cute :O) and yes! put them close together! they will love it.
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the comment about the yellow gowns! I will NOT miss them either (although since we've been there so long we've started to use regular hospital gowns). Take care!
    Amanda Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fridge in the nursery idea is genius! And if the previous commmenter Lisa from the March of Dimes is still reading I wanted to say thank you from our family to the March of Dimes. I always knew they did great work with research on premature babies but I didn't know about all the support they give to families of preemie babies. I am so impressed with all they offer and they will be on my list of charities that I make sure to support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!! We've been out of town since Saturday, so I'm sad I didn't get to say congrats any earlier!!! I am so thankful that the babies are doing great and it sounds like you are too. What a thrill to see them in their own beds for the first time. Your home will never be the same - and really will never be clean again :) But...at the same time there has never been so much love in it either. What a wonderful adventure and I am so glad to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete