So in years past, anyone who has slept with me...and I mean that not in a naughty way...knows that I can hallucinate and/or talk gibberish in my sleep. I know I do it. I warn people in advance. In our old house, it would happen consistently in the spring. I would wake up and see spiders crawling in our room or down on me. I have to wake Joe up...tell him...and make him check the room. Even though the whole time I know it is not happening. My favorite is when I talk gibberish and I will actually say, "I know I am talking gibberish but I can't help it..." Hilarious. Well maybe to me, but not to him.
So we have both started having some hallucinations. Joe's first was when the babies were still in the hospital and he got up shouting at me that I was crushing the babies. I politely reminded him that the babies were at the hospital. Since they have been home, it is happening several times a night. I have a little pillow that I sleep with and constantly look at it in the middle of the night and try to unwrap it. But it is a pillow. Not a baby. Picture nighttime...sound sleeping...all of a sudden one of us will wake up and think the babies are in the bed. Last night, Joe actually took my hand and tried to take it thinking it was a baby's hand. Weird. I guess if we were ever on the fence about sleeping with a baby in the bed or in the room, it has been settled. The babies have never even been in our room and this is doing some serious damage on my sleep time.
isn't sleep deprivation wonderful?! You will be so thankful that you never started the whole "kids in the bedroom" thing; especially when they learn to manipulate mom and dad! Sweet pictures...love the "O" face:)
ReplyDeleteLove, April
I did that with both children until they were big enough not to smother. They never slept with me either but that did not stop me from being totally convinced that I had smothered one of them while we were sleeping. I would wake up searching for them under pillows. Michael thought (probably still thinks, actually) that I was crazy. Kelly
ReplyDeleteFrom someone who has witnessed the gibberish in the middle of the night, I am just laughing at my desk thinking about these exchanges and how funny it would be to capture those on film and post them.... can you do that too?
ReplyDeleteMiss you all - did you get my voicemail yesterday? I love how you changed the answering machine to the Koontz family. Perfect. Next time, I am calling for Virginia.
So you talk gibberish in your sleep....I just do it when I'm awake. :-) Do you know how incredibly awesome you two are? I really am waiting for you to announce you are writing a book. Your spirit and enthusiasm about life as a family is truly awe inspiring and can really be felt through your words. Ahh...love it!
ReplyDeleteI cannot get over that as little as John and Virgina are, they have grown so much. I am feeling the need to hold a baby. Oh my gosh they are just adorable!
Allison, most of the pictures and your comments made me laugh, but some nearly had me in tears. What a wonderful story and what beautiful babies!!
ReplyDeleteAh...the whoas of sleep deprivation. I hate to tell you, but this is only the beginning. I've lost even more sleep in the past year worrying about my soon-to-be high schooler.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that God is giving you a clear sign that those babies need to sleep in their own space and that these are only hallucinations!
Have a good weekend! -Karen
Okay, this is your best post yet! Totally cracked me up! Sleep deprivation can make your crazy...especially in the middle of the night. You will sleep better without the babies in your room anyway, and you won't have to worry about transitioning them into their own room in a few months! What sweet, sweet pics!
ReplyDelete